- 800 gm pork belly (Huber’s Butchery)
- 1 jar (240 ml) Singapore Meat Marinade
- 2 pcs star anise (Huber’s Butchery), optional
- 1 pc cinnamon stick (Huber’s Butchery), optional
- 10 pcs (2 packs) Chinese bread buns (mantou), optional
- Slice pork belly into pieces, about 1 cm thick by 2 inches wide.
- Blanch by immersing the pork in cold water then bringing it to a boil. Pour away the scum (biege or white impurities which rise to the surface) and water. This is the first boil.
- Add the meat to a mixture of Singapore Meat Marinade and water (about 50-50 water to marinade). Need only enough to cover the meat. This is the second boil.
- Simmer (low-to-medium heat) for about 45-60 min until tender and the sauce has reduce.
- Stir and check it often towards the end to avoid the sauce burning.
- Steam some mantou to serve on the side.
- It can be served with sliced or shredded cucumber, or an Asian slaw made of carrots, cucumber and turnip, with some coriander and peanuts.