Meat and shredded vegetables wrapped in crispy skin
- 500 g (1 pkt) spring roll sheets
- For deep-frying, oil
- 1 tin (454 gm) crab meat, flaked (we prefer and suggest cooked, shelled tinned & pasteurised from good grocers, such as, Huber’s Butchery)
- 200 gm small prawns (shrimps), shelled & de-veined
- 200 gm pork, optional
- 200 gm bamboo shoots (rebong), optional
- 5 dried Chinese mushrooms
- ½ thumb size knob ginger (halia)
- 4 spring onions (scallions)
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp corn flour (cornstarch)
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- plain (all-purpose) flour
- Cilicuka (Original, Extra Hot or Super Hot), a red chilli & garlic sauce
- Tomato Ketchup
- Finely dice the prawns. Shred the pork and bamboo shoots.
- Soak the Chinese mushrooms in hot water until softened. Squeeze dry. Discard the stems then finely slice.
- Peel and mince the ginger. Dice the spring onions.
- In a small bowl, mix the gravy ingredients together.
- Mix equal amounts of flour and water together to form a paste.
- Heat a wok over a high flame until it smokes. Add the oil.
- Stir-fry the ginger, pork and mushrooms for 1 min. Add the prawns.
- Stir-fry then add the gravy. Add the bamboo shoots and crab meat.
- Sprinkle the corn flour on top. Stir until the gravy has thickened.
- Turn off the flame. Set aside to cool, then add the spring onions.
- Lay a spring roll sheet on a clean dry surface with a corner facing toward you. Spoon some filling in a row on the skin. Fold the corner facing you over the filling, then fold the left and right hand corners over it. Roll away from you and seal with a dab of flour paste or water. Continue to make more rolls with the remaining ingredients.
- Heat some oil in a wok or pan over a medium-high flame.
- Deep-fry the rolls until light golden brown. Remove and drain well.
- Place on a serving plate. Serve with chilli sauce and/or ketchup on the side.
Tip: The filling can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. After preparing the filling, allow to cool, cover, then store in the refrigerator. Alternatively, make small spring rolls then freeze for up to 1 month. Deep-fry while still frozen when required.