Fish with Sambal Hijau baked in banana leaves
- 1kg white fish (Singapore-bred barramundi for this recipe, order online & direct delivery: http://www.kuhlbarra.com/)
- 1 jar (240 ml) Sambal Hijau (green chilli sauce)
- Banana leaves, enough to wrap the fish
- Wipe the leaves clean with a damp cloth then soften by blanching, steaming or sweeping over an open flame.
- Wrap/bundle the fish with Sambal Hijau, in this order: leaf, sauce, fish, sauce then leaf.
- Use trussing string or toothpicks to tie and secure the bundle, or lightly place a heatproof object on top to keep the bundle sealed.
- Marinate for at least 30 mins, or ideally 3 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven at 150 °C then baked until the core temperate is 75 °C (insert a thermometer to check), about 20 mins for an individual portion, 45 mins for a whole fish.
- Squeeze fresh calamansi lime juice over the fish before serving. Pairs very well with Nonya Achar & white rice.