Breaded rolls of pancakes stuffed with meat and vegetable filling
- 1½ onions (bawang)
- 150 g fresh or frozen green peas
- 1½ Tbsp corn flour (cornstarch)
- 3 Tbsp water, or preferably milk
- 300 g minced meat (e.g. pork/beef/chicken from Huber’s Butchery)
- ½ tsp nutmeg (buah pala) powder, preferably freshly grated whole nutmeg using a Microplane Spice Grater
- ½ tsp salt
- a dash of freshly ground whole black peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 100 g plain (all-purpose) flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 280 ml milk
- 1 Tbsp oil
To Assemble & Shallow-Fry:
- For deep-frying, oil
- 1-2 eggs, beaten
- Japanese Panko breadcrumbs or fine breadcrumbs
- Cilicuka (Original, Extra Hot or Super Hot), a red chilli & garlic sauce
- Tomato Ketchup
- Sift the flour and salt together then add the remaining ingredients for the batter. Use an electric whisk or whisk by hand until smooth.
- Sieve the batter, then set aside for at about 20 min to allow it to rest.
- Using a non-stick or greased pan, make thin pancakes over a low flame. Set aside.
To Prepare the Meat Filling:
- Peel then diced the onion into 1 cm squares. Blanch the green peas (if frozen) in hot water.
- In a small bowl, stir the corn flour and water or milk together.
- Heat a wok over a medium flame. Add the oil.
- Stir-fry or sweat the chopped onion then add the minced meat.
- Add the green peas then stir-in the corn flour mixture. Stir-fry until the mixture is cooked and almost dry.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Lay a pancake on a clean dry surface. Place some filling on the pancake in a row. Fold the bottom end over the filling, then fold the left and right sides over. Roll the filling away from you towards the top. Continue to make more rolls with the remaining ingredients.
- Prepare 2 flat dishes. Crack then beat the egg in one and fill the other with the breadcrumbs. Dip the rolls into the beaten egg then roll it in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat some oil in a wok or pan over a medium-high flame. Deep-fry the rolls until light golden brown. Remove and drain well.
- Place on a serving plate. Serve with Cilicuka and/or ketchup on the side.