Fluffy balls of mashed potatoes with a light golden brown crust
- 500 gm potatoes (in keeping with this historic Singaporean recipe, local potatoes were used)
- 1 Tbsp or more egg white, as much are possible
(Tip: add as much egg white as the mixture can hold, still form a ball, which makes will give it a more tender texture)
- ½ tsp fine salt
- For shallow-frying, oil
- Cilicuka (Original, Extra Hot or Super Hot), a red chilli & garlic sauce
- Tomato Ketchup
- In a large pot, boil the potatoes for about 30 min or until cooked.
- Drain then allow to cool. Peel and discard the skin, then mash.
- Mix in the egg white and salt.
- Form the mixture into balls about 3 cm in diameter.
- Heat some oil in a wok or pan over a medium-high flame.
- shallow-fry the potato balls until light golden brown. Remove and drain well.
- Place on a serving plate. Serve with chilli sauce and/or ketchup on the side.