A beef soup seasoned with herbs & spices
- 1 thumb size knob galangal (lengkuas)
- 2 stalks lemon grass (serai)
- 1.25 kg beef shin
- 4.5 L water
- 6 salam leaves (daun salam)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (daun limau purut)
- 3 sticks celery
- 3 leeks
- 2 1/2 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp Indonesian sweet dark soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 2 thumb size knobs ginger (halia)
- 10 shallots (bawang merah)
- 6 cloves garlic (bawang putih)
- 1 tbsp coriander (ketumbar) powder
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 jar Cilicuka Super Hot (100% cili padi) for the traditional version; Cilicuka Extra Hot (20% cili padi) for a less hot version; Cilicuka Original (100% regular chilli, no cili padi) for the least hot version.
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 600 g bean sprouts
- 4 sprigs coriander (Chinese parsley)
- 40 shallots (bawang merah)
- Peel and bruise the galangal and lemon grass (use white portion only) for the stock.
- To prepare the rempah, peel and roughly chop the ginger, shallots and garlic. Coarsely pound/blend together, adding the coriander powder and pepper last.
- To prepare the chilli sauce, add the light soy sauce to the Cilicuka. Place in a small serving dish.
- To prepare the garnish, blanch the bean sprouts (remove the caps and roots, if necessary) and finely slice the coriander. Peel the shallots and finely slice.
- In a large pot, place beef in cold water then bring to the boil.
- Skim off the impurities that surface then add the ingredients for the stock. Simmer for 30-40 min.
- Heat a wok over a high flame until it smokes. Add the oil.
- Lower the flame then stir-fry the finely sliced shallots for the garnish until golden brown. Remove and drain.
- Over a high flame, stir-fry the rempah then add it to the stock.
- Stir in the salt and Indonesian sweet dark soy sauce.
- Simmer until the meat is tender then remove the meat and slice. Strain the stock.
- To serve, arrange some the sliced meat and beans sprouts in individual serving bowls.
- Fill with soup, then garnish with fried shallots and coriander.
- Serve the chilli sauce on the side.