Stif-fried egg noodles with seafood and pork
- 300 g pork belly
- 500 ml cold water
- 300 g medium-sized prawns (shrimps)
- 300 g bean sprouts (tauge)
- 6 stalks water convolvulus (kangkung)
- ½ Tbsp salted soy beans (taucheo)
- 15 cloves garlic (bawang putih)
- 600 g fresh yellow egg noodles (Hokkien mee)
- 6 Tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 5 sprigs coriander / Chinese parsley (daun ketumbar)
- 3 spring onions (scallions)
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 cucumber
- 4 eggs
- Cilicuka (Original, Extra Hot or Super Hot), a red chilli & garlic sauce
- Place the pork and cold water in a pot. Bring the water to the boil then simmer for about 10 min until the pork has cooked. Skim off and discard the impurities that rise to the surface using a spoon. Remove the pork, allow to cool then slice into strips. Reserve the stock.
- Shell then devein the prawns. Set the meat aside. Place the prawn shells in a mortar and pestle then pound. Add the pork stock then strain. Set the stock aside. Discard the shells.
- Remove and discard the caps and roots of the bean sprouts then soak in cold water. Set aside.
- Prepare the water convolvulus. Cut off and discard the roots then thoroughly rinse. Pluck the leaves together with some stem (to give the dish a crunchy texture). Discard the rest.
- If whole beans are used, pound the salted soy beans.
- Rinse then pluck off the leafy parts the coriander and slice the spring onions into strips. Deseed then finely slice the chilli into strips. Soak the strips into cold water to cause them to curl. Peel then halve the cucumber. Remove the seeds then shred.
- Peel then mince the garlic.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and a pinch of salt together. Using a flat pan, make several thin omelettes. Set aside to cool, roll then finely slice. Set aside for the garnish.
- Heat a wok over a high flame until it smokes. Add the oil.
- Lower the flame then fry the garlic until it is light golden brown. Remove and drain well.
- Add the salted soy beans, then sprinkle in a little water to prevent it from burning.
- Add the strips of pork. Stir-fry for 2–3 min, then add the prawns. Continue frying for a few min then add the stock.
- Bring to the boil. Add the bean sprouts, water convolvulus then noodles. Mix well. Add salt to taste. Do not overcook it to prevent the noodles from getting soggy and the vegetables from loosing its crunch.
- Place the noodles on a serving plate. Garnish starting with the fried eggs, shredded cucumber, shredded spring onions, finely sliced chilli, coriander, and finally, fried garlic.
- Serve with a side dish of Cilicuka & Sambal Nanas.