Egg noodles fried to a crisp topped with a seafood, meat and vegetables
- 500 g dried or fresh egg noodles
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda, optional
- 500 g spinach or flowering cabbage (choy sum)
- 500 g medium-sized prawns (shrimps)
- 200 g pork
- 100 g pork liver
- 9 Tbsp oil
- 50 g ginger (halia)
- 2 tsp Chinese cooking wine or sherry
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp corn flour (cornstarch)
- a dash of pepper
- 100 g ginger (halia) or 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Chinese cooking wine or sherry
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 450 ml water
- 1 Tbsp sugar, or to taste
- ½ salt, or taste
- a dash of pepper
Corn Flour Mixture:
- 3 Tbsp corn flour (cornstarch)
- 10 Tbsp water
- Cilicuka (Original, Extra Hot or Super Hot), a red chilli & garlic sauce
- Blanch the noodles in boiling water. Remove and shake off any excess water then thoroughly drain.
- Bring some water to the boil then add the bicarbonate of soda before blanching the spinach or flowering cabbage. (The bicarbonate of soda will help the vegetables retain their colour.)
- Peel then devein the prawns. (Freeze the shells for use in other recipes.)
- Finely slice the pork and liver.
- Peel then pound/grind the ginger for the marinade and sauce. Squeeze over a sieve or using a muslin bag to extract 1 tsp juice for the marinade and 2 tsp for sauce.
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients for the marinade together. Add the slices of pork then mix well together.
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients for the sauce together. Set aside.
- Mix the corn flour and water. Set aside.
- Heat a wok over a high flame until it smokes. Add about 6 Tbsp oil.
- Fry the noodles for about 3 min on each side. Be careful when flipping it over not to break the noodles. Remove and drain well then place it on a serving plate.
- Reheat the wok over a high flame. Add the remaining 3 Tbsp oil.
- Stir-fry the marinated pork with the marinade then add the sauce.
- Stir the corn flour mixture then pour half in. Bring to the boil.
- Add the prawns and liver. Cook for 2 min.
- Spread the cooked meat and blanched vegetables over the noodles.
- Add the rest of the corn flour mixture to the remaining sauce. Bring to the boil.
- Pour the sauce over the meat and vegetables.
- Serve immediately while the noodles are still crisp with Cilicuka in a side dish.