- 800 gm minced pork, with about 20% fat (Huber’s Butchery)
- 1 jar (240 ml) Singapore Meat Marinade
- 1 jar (240 ml) Cilicuka Super Hot, made of 100% cili padi, optional
- Empty contents of our Singapore Meat Marinade Original and 1-2 tsp of Cilicuka Super Hot. Stir and taste. Adjust the flavour according to your preference.
- Add 800 gm minced pork to the mix.
- Stir thoroughly in one direction, counting 60 stirs to develop a chewy texture.
- Flatten in-between parchment paper to 4 mm thickness. Marinate in fridge for 9 hrs, no more.
- Remove top sheet, dehydrate in oven at 70 °C on fan-assisted mode for 50 mins, leaving the door ajar to air-dry. Remove from oven and cut into desired shape with scissors / knife / pizza-cutter.
- Finally, place meat on new parchment paper. Preheat oven at 200 °C and grill for 15 mins or more, turning every 5-7 mins until slightly blackened and charred at the edges.
- Once cooked, best eaten immediately. Bak Kwa can be left for 24 hrs at room temperature, after which it must be chilled and re-toasted before eating. Will keep for up to 5 days.
- Our sauce is rich with oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, caramel and 5-spice. It has been formulated to give you the best flavour but with the ease and convenience of one jar.
- Unlike commercial Bak Kwa (mainly fish sauce, sugar & colouring), you can expect it to taste like homemade but richer and complex flavour.
- Minced meat from any good supermarket or butcher are fine, preferably with 20% fat. A medium-sized mince is best, not to fine or coarse.
- Avoid over-marinating (more than 9hrs), it will be edible but may taste similar to ‘lapcheong’.