A vegetarian fried egg noodles dish served in a sweet sauce
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes
- 2 sprigs coriander (Chinese parsley) (daun ketumbar)
- 6 spring onions (scallions)
- 12 shallots (bawang merah)
- 12 cloves garlic (bawang putih)
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp Cilicuka Super Hot or 6-12 bird’s eye chillies (cili padi), optional but highly-recommended, it really lifts this otherwise simple dish.
- 1½ tbsp palm sugar (gula Melaka)
- ½ tbsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- 300 g bean sprouts (tauge)
- 600 g fresh yellow egg noodles (Hokkien mee)
- Slice the tomatoes into wedges.
- Finely chop the coriander and spring onions.
- Peel and slice the shallots and garlic.
- Heat a wok over a high flame until it smokes. Add the oil.
- Lower the flame. Stir-fry the shallots until golden brown. Remove and drain well. Set aside.
- Stir-fry the garlic until light golden brown.
- Add the chillies and palm sugar. Sprinkle in some water to prevent it from burning.
- Add the dark soy sauce, light soy sauce and salt. Stir-fry.
- Add the bean sprouts, sliced tomatoes and noodles. Stir-fry.
- Add the spring onions and coriander.
- Quickly toss together then place on a large serving dish.
- Garnish with the fried shallots.