Grandma Lee’s Lor Bak (Lobah)
Deep-fried rolls of shredded yam and meat
- 600 g yam/taro (keledek)
- 300 g pork belly, optional
- 300 g prawns (shrimps)
- 1 small onion (bawang)
- 1 egg, equivalent to 65gm with shell
- 12 Tbsp (80 g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- For deep-frying, oil
- Cilicuka (Original, Extra Hot & Super Hot)
- Sweet flour soy sauce (timcheong), optional
- Peel then finely shred the yam/taro.
- If pork belly is used, cut it into strips.
- Peel, de-vein then finely mince the prawns.
- Peel then finely dice the onion.
- Beat the egg.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together (except for the oil and dipping sauces).
- Form into rolls about 3 cm wide and 12 cm long. Lightly oil your hands to prevent the mixture from sticking.
- Heat some oil in a wok or pan over a medium-high flame.
- Deep-fry the rolls until golden brown. Remove and drain well.
- Place on a serving plate.
- Serve with Cilicuka and/or timcheong on the side.