Shermay’s 1-Minute How to Fry Crackers (Keropok/Krupuk & Emping)
- Prawn crackers (keropok, krupok)
- Bitternut crackers (emping)
- Oil, for frying
- Dipping sauce: Cilicuka (Original, Extra Hot or Super Hot) and/or Sambal Hijau
- Unpack your favourite brand of crackers (keropok or emping).
- Dry in the over at 50 °C (no higher, otherwise the crackers will start to cook) or sun-dry to remove moisture. (This results in a puffier and larger piece with a more crispy texture. If the packet is airtight and sealed, it may not be necessary to dry before frying.)
- In a non-stick wide and flat pan, heat oil over medium flame.
- Drop one or more pieces into the oil. Quickly press to flatten.
- Quickly flip over for even cooking.
- For emping, drop a few pieces into the oil. Give it a good stir then quickly scoop up. Remove and transfer to a wide tray lined with disposable kitchen paper. Carefully shake-off excess oil and do not stack. This is the trick to a drier and less oily end-result.
- Enjoy the keropok with Cilicuka or Sambal Hijau, and the emping with Sambal Hijau! A great snack!