Grandma Lee’s Crispy 5-Spice Fried Chicken
Chicken, marinated in soy sauce and spices, with a crispy crust
- 1 medium-sized whole chicken or chicken meat (about 1 kg)
- 12 Tbsp corn flour (cornstarch)
- oil, for deep-frying
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Chinese cooking wine or sherry
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 Tbsp corn flour (cornstarch)
- 6 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Cilicuka (Original, Extra Hot or Super Hot)
- Cut the chicken into pieces.
- In a large bow, mix the marinade ingredients together. Add the chicken to the marinade. Knead then set aside to marinate for 30 min or more.
- Heat a wok over a high flame until it smokes. Add the oil.
- Once the oil starts to smoke, turn off or lower the flame.
- Shake off any excess marinade then toss the chicken in corn flour just before adding to the oil.
- Continue to deep-fry over a medium flame until the chicken is golden brown on the outside and cooked inside. Remove and drain well.
- Transfer to a serving dish (such as a plate or woven basket lined with parchment paper), serve with Cilicuka on the side.